Monday, February 1, 2010

Hand-Cut Silhouettes

Just Make Something Monday #5

Whew!  I was worried I wouldn't get these finished in time for my JMSM. 
When my nieces were here at Christmas time I took profile pictures of them as a part of my plan to make silhouettes for their parents for Valentine's Day.  I think they turned out rather good.  I tried to do them in Photoshop with a lasso tool, but I didn't have enough time to figure out how to do it that way.  I may try again in the future.  Instead I re-sized my photos and printed them onto a heavier paper to use as a template.  After I cut the girls out I traced the cut-out design onto black paper with a white pencil and cut that out.  I haven't gotten frames for them yet so the edges of the silhouettes are a bit fuzzy where they aren't flat on the white paper.  I had intended to use 5x7 frames, but I think I may have to go with oval frames since the ponytail on my youngest niece pokes out pretty far.  All-in-all I'm happy.  It was a quick project with great results.


These are the photos I used for the silhouettes:



I suppose I could have made things easier by having them pose in front of a solid wall, but I was trying to be inconspicuous.  Nevertheless, I know my brother and sister-in-law will pleased.  Valentine's Day can't get here fast enough.




No comments:

Post a Comment