Tuesday, January 5, 2010

My Favorite Meal




















So, last night we had my very favorite meal. I don't know what I would do if I ever lost the recipe. Actually, I've made it so many times I don't think I could forget how to make it. I love it's history too.

Once upon a time there was a young newlywed who was having her in-laws over for dinner for the first time. Having not had a lot of cooking experience that didn't involve cans or boxes as the main portion of the meal, she was uncertain as to what she should do. Never fear. Two precious angels, married, but not so newly, shared a time-tested recipe of their own after hearing about the newlywed's plight. So while the young wife rang up their purchases at the small retail clothing store, the angels wrote down the directions. Later joy rang out in the small apartment dining room where the food was blessed and delight shone from the faces of all present. It was a meal that made the young girl feel like a woman. It was a right-of-passage that would give her a desire to continue to find other meals that would warm the stomachs and feed the memories of her family for many years to come.

This is seriously good. I can't imagine anyone not liking it, but if you don't please refrain from telling me so so I can continue to live in my fairytale food world.
But just look at it. Doesn't it make you hungry?


Blessed Pot Roast

2 1/2 lbs. Beef Round Eye Round Roast - A bigger roast is fine if your crock pot has room.
2 cans french onion soup
2 or 3 T. Worchestershire Sauce
2 or 3 t. Beef bouillon
Garlic powder to taste
Salt & Pepper to taste
Potatoes and Carrots, peeled and cut into large bite-sized chunks - As many a you want and you'll want a lot. They are my favorite part.

Put roast in crock pot with the layer of fat on top. Add soup, Worchestershire, bouillon, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Put in potatoes and carrots. Add enough water to just barely cover everything. Cook in crock pot on low overnight or at least 8 hours.

To serve put meat on a separate platter and cut into 1/2 inch slabs against the grain. I like to have my roast with rice so I always make enough to put a couple of heaping tablespoon-fulls in the bottom of each bowl. On top of rice add potatoes, carrots and meat broken up into bite-sized pieces. Top everything with juice from the pot. So yummy you're almost guaranteed to eat too much. The vegetables are so tender and delicious I could eat them all by themselves. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment